Tuesday 12 April 2011

Mussoorie -- Joe's take

6000 feet above sea level.  I'm not sure if it's the low oxygen tension or the steep roads that we have to traverse, but it's giving me angina.

Not really, of course.  But it is simply astounding how the human body can adapt to such conditions.  There's not an obese person here; there are 60-70 year old men carrying 80 pound sacks of whatnot on their backs up these crazy mountains.  I'm pretty sure they could kick my tail.

Mussoorie is beautiful.  It is one of the most picturesque places that I have ever seen in my life.  There are mountains all around us, and the village twists and turns, totally entwined in the tortuous curves of the slopes.  It is what I have always thought that Nepal would look like, a civilization tucked away from the rest of the world in the unmoving folds of the mountains.  The bad thing is -- it is freezing here.  This would be alright, but I packed for warm weather.  Needless to say, I've shivered off at least 80% of my excess body fat.  Sweet.

The clinic here is alright.  We go in from 10-1 and then we're essentially done -- we are given the option to do more, but Steph and I would rather read or enjoy walking among the village.  For example, after clinic I was told that there was a hernia surgery that I could go scrub in on.  After half feigning a moment's interest, I said that I would rather pass.

There are other people from the UK and Ireland (3 girls total) here with us for this week.  They are great.  I especially love the Irish accent, and I continually find myself laughing aloud when she says something particularly authentic.  We are actually going to meet them for dinner now -- so I am going to bid the screen adieu.  










No comments:

Post a Comment